Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ek Gaon Mey Ek Kisan Rahutha Tha.... Part 2

Though excited about the fact that am gonna be a Mumbaikar after my 23 successful years of being a pucca Chennaiite, deep inside i could feel the very tense of picking up this language! My first rehearsal of this language was with the Station Master at CST while my husband went to collect our huge trunk boxes from the brake van! I seriously dont know guys who started the conversation, but i found after some 20 mintues of non-stop chatter with him, i realised that we both were in deep conversation about both our families!!! In fact i was speaking with my English followed by a हे ! For eg., if i wanted to know where his family is, i would say, "your family kahan hai? yeah well wont i know words like kahan hai, acha hai, teek hai, etc etc?? :-)

Though my starting was not bad, i did really meet up with big problems when some carpenter, plumber, electrician etc., visit my house.. I used to mime, dance, sweat out & suffer before i could speak out what i wanted.... After so many of my ordeals, unable to bear my prattles, a carpenter who had not even one clean teeth had mockingly laughed at me, a maid who was only my waist height almost rolled & fell down laughing at my Hindi! I have heard this sentence immediately from them after their hearty laughs... "अच्छा .. आपको हिन्दी नही आ रहा है...!?" (Oh! Ok.. You dont know Hindi?!!)

Onions are called "pyaas" alias "kaandha".. How will I know for God's sake!!? I asked my maid to get them..
Me: "Onion leke aao shop se"...
Maid: "Kya? Kaandha??" I saw her lips bind after that word Kaandha... (I swear on God!)
Me: "Oh kya hai? Kaandham?"
The next moment i could see my maid at ground level only.. Because she had fallen down launghing as she heard me telling Kandhaa as Kaandham == (Which is nothing but) Condom!! I was embarassed!

1 comment: