Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Bulb that wasn't a Bulb after all :) - Valentine Day Special

Everyone might wonder what's a bulb doing here anyways... In our colloquial slang bulb means - something u expect so much to happen but that doesn't! Mere disappointment - Then you get a Bulb! God Bless the person who named it!


Valentine Day.. Me being a dreamy girl as always imagines life to be a cinema way.. I will give you examples: I love giving gifts (love receiving them as well), sending emotional msgs like I love you, I miss you, of course Iam angry with you etc.., surprise my B on birthday, new year & yeah V-day etc etc.. On the contrary, Mr.B is a very realistic man.. Never gets carried away by emotions.. So this Valentines Day I had planned for a surprise.. Noted down all of B's favorite stuff & called up a cake lady (whom i googled n found out she is free for this Vday - my effort worth mentioning) & asked her to make the very famous cupcakes with these "stuff" as sugarcraft models on top.. It was all super set for the Vday..


On one hand I do know my B would never do anything of this sort like me, yeah somewhere my heart longed B to surprise me :) See you should note the point here.. I have stopped longing for diamond rings, electronic gadgets, clothes etc... ;-) All i expected was a small heart-shaped cake ( why the cake? - i saw this in Sweet Chariot Cake Shop a few days back & I thought B also saw & planned to gift me - see how imaginary I can be) So, here I am on the eve of V day planning how the day should be.. Anyways B has his usual routine & i didnt really wanna bother him - asking him to take a day off.. That i felt was a bit too much!


It was in the evening around 5.30 pm on 13th feb, when my radar started checking the whereabouts of B.. That's because his classes are supposed to end by 5pm & thats what he told when he left for the college.. (Okey now B has been sponsored for his PG & he is now a student!) Now B was disconnecting all my calls.. Yeah if it was a normal day my inside lady & my radar would not have bothered me much.. But today is the eve of Vday...


Lady inside me: Why did B disconnect your 1st call at 5.30pm?
Me: arey probably the lab is not over yet......


After some half an hour, again I give a call..


Me: Now its 6pm & he still disconnected my call... what's this for?
Lady inside me: mmmm i know... are you sure he said the class will be over by 5pm? why don't you drop him an sms? damn cellphone you all have na?
Me: Yeah sure.. will do that.. now you don't talk that way & make me tensed..
Lady inside me: (murmurs) funny people...
I oblige & drop an sms "hey.. wher are you? it's 6 na.. lab is from 2pm to 5pm right? wat u doin?"
Pat came back an sms frm B - "in lab.. REPEATING"
Lady inside me: (beaming with pride) see? you atleast received some reply.. What's this REPEATING for?
Me: Hey why do you keep digging? You make me all the more anxious.. He says that as a warning not to call back or disturb (for atleast next half an hour)


Now its 6.30pm..


Lady Inside me: oh oh i get it...
Me: What??
Lady Inside Me: Tomorrow is valentine day.. probably B is out there getting you something... diamond ring?
Me: No way.. go away!
Lady Inside Me: ahhh.. don't u like?
Me: 2 things... sorry 3 things: 1. well beyond our budget, 2. he won't buy such things naturally, 3. iffffff he is gonna buy he will obviously take me to the store..
Lady inside me: ok.. then may be he is getting you that heart-shaped cake from sweet chariot..
Me: Definitely no..
Lady Inside me: how do you know? may be some cake.. not the heart-shaped one.. :)
Me... hmmm if that's what you say.. I don't want to discuss more.. let's see..


So arguing, i picked up my phone & dialed.. It wasn't a missed call or a quarter call.. It was almost a full round of rings & i thought B is gonna blast me for disturbing him during his lab (now back to B's reality) I was about to cut when i heard, "aaahh hello?".. I quickly asked, "hey where are you?", "In lab....(a pause) why?", "no.. u said your class is till 5pm na?", " no it just got over as (some technical stuff) couldn't tolerate the weight, it broke dash dash dash...." blah blah he was sounding so technical that it evapourated in air without entering my head.. Lady inside me asks, "what's he saying by the way? i guess he is bluffing.. he is there in some cake shop, pucca!".. listening to both of them simultaneously i checked the time & asked, "hey no i still remember your class was till 5.. that's why......" B got quite pissed off & answered impatiently, " so what, iam starting home in another 15 minutes.. still in lab, i just came out to answer your call.. bye!" The call was disconnected..


With so many things running in my mind, I really didnt want to get disappointed & so I quickly continued with my evening chores - waking up R from his blissful sleep, giving him some playtime & made myself some hot milk.. B came in another 40 minutes & everything was going smoothly when there was yet another battle within my mind - basically B has come, switched on the TV as usual & was watching it as usual.. No sign of any surprise he is planning to do.. oh a bulb! But yeah.. I, as a person knows B too well.. So why to think of things that aren't gonna happen! I continued my work..


But things were otherwise.. See as a cinematic person as Iam totally, I am thinking why B shouldn't gift me
anything for a Vday?


1. B is a man going out & coming home daily & meeting quite a few people daily.. Each one will share their view of Vday for sure - how they are planning for a party or a surprise for their spouse..
2. However not interested in all these things, In so many years with me, he would have seen my ever-anxious eyes asking him silently - "will you surprise me or gift me for this bday, vday, anniversary... etc etc?"
3. Yeah - the most important which I felt I would surely win a law-case itself - Me being a new mom, i have made an effort to find out people who make custom cup-cakes here, rang them up & found out who is free for this feb 14th to make me some 10 assorted cupcakes with sugarcrafts on top of them - each one B's favourite stuff.. So I had pre-ordered them & asked B to drop me in Richmond town to collect the same.. He knew it's something that Iam pretty much doing for this Vday.. He should have seen my effort..
4. Atleast guilt should provoke him.. :) Lol iam not criticising.. I just feel that sometimes B should be provoked to do something to coo his wifey beforehand - "oh, she will do something secretly behind me.. let me do atleast THIS TIME!" (even the thought will be a surprise for me! LOL)
5. Arey yaar - there is only 1 birthday, 1 Valentine Day & 1 Anniversary in a year - so totally 3 gifts in a year! We can do it... can't we B?


Also Lady Inside me was giving out reasons why B wouldn't be doing what i expect - This time against me! Bah that would be hundreds!!!


1. B always thinks it is unnecessary - both surprising & gifting
2. B doesn't really understand it's purpose.. B has been brought up like that.. Not like you lady!
3. B also checks on the monthly budget now & then.. So if something big happened in the same month or before, it's definitely a No-No from B.. (It's a universal law)
4. No way B! B will always be B.. :)


While thinking all this my face changes obviously.. I wasn't looking around while I was busy thinking & cooking dinner.. Suddenly I heard B's voice.. "Hey, anything wrong? You upset or anything?".. It added salt.. Yeah, so I kept my face even more long & gave back "NOTHING!" That's enough for B to understand there is REALLY something.. "Hey, I don't understand...!", he started off & I immediately cut in, "nothing, leave it.. Have your dinner first".. Then there was silence.. I was thinking fast now.. What was gonna happen next? Am i going to start a fist of arguments which is definitely not gonna lead you anywhere or spend the next day with happiness as though nothing happened or or or just give a forehand  saying "B pls don't get angry for what iam gonna say next... so on..." Thinking all this I came back to our living room to see B watching some serious cricket.. Damn damn.. Very hard to understand B...


So I had my dinner & started checking some Fb.. B came in & asked.. "Anything wrong as I asked you before?" & I decided to choose my 3rd option & here I went.. "B, see.. Don't be angry n all.. I know you wont like to celebrate Vday.. But you can atleast see the effort which I had put in.. Iam new to this city as you are, but in these so many months I haven't explored it as much as you have.. It all takes the interest B.. Nothing else.." I hope he understood what I wanted to badly convey to him.. B didn't show much of a reaction.. So saying I updated an anti-Vday status which read as follows:




"What is special in love ?
.
.
.
.
.
nothing special...!
Two vowels ,
two consonants ,
&
two fools...!! Happy Valentines Day! :)"



For which I got few LIKEs immediately.. I asked B to read it & told it's for him.. Oh my God.. do you know what B said.. "you are going to be angry with me - 1. the reason you are already angry for & 2. for not understanding the message & how it was damn related to me!" - he told so innocently that I burst out laughing so hard that B too took advantage of the situation & laughed.. So I guess we moved onto the 2nd option yeah nothing happened so far & move on happily with Vday.. 


I retired for the night trying to put R to sleep as he tried to vigorously play thinking it just dawned for him.. B was telling it's gonna be 12.. I was thinking "oh so what? you already know about the cupcakes I have bought for you. I am too tired &  way far from my Vday mood, so not now.. Tomorrow will be apt for cupcakes!" Meanwhile R was getting into a fit of shoutings as he was getting sleep probably & I got busy lullaby-ing R so that he forgets any toy from his mind &  gets into a proper sleep.. The way I did the lullaby even I dozed off a little.. Suddenly I heard B shouting "Happy Valentine Day" from the other corner of the room.. I was slightly angry as he totally disturbed R from his drowsiness I had artificially created for him & I turned around to stare hard at B for what he had done.. The moment I turned I could hear the lady inside me  mocking at me, "Didn't I tell you lady? But yeah Iam slightly wrong ........" I didn't listen to one word.. I was really moved.. B was standing right there with a bunch of bright red roses.. Oh my dear God.. It was unbelievable.. B has never in his life taken all these seriously! Bringing one for me was definitely so nice & touching.. Immediately I pounced from my bed & snatched the bunch from him.. Wow they looked really lovely.. I counted them, there were 15! B had disappeared again & he came back this time with a smaller bunch & took R in his other hand  was mimicking from behind saying "I love you amma" - R is giving me his small Vday gift for me.. Oh wow! B are you the same B? I was totally in LOVE! This did make me happy..


I realised something then... I may have expected diamonds, platinums etc.. But B had just come up with a bunch of rose which was no where near those expensive items - which really made me the happiest lady that night.. No no.. not what i said before that i had come down for anything that B gifts.. It was a simple message that B loves me... :) 


So after all the drama - the bulb that I nearly got wasn't a bulb afterall.. Happy Valentine Day guys!! 









4 comments:

  1. Yabaaaaa... Indha Valentine's Day thollai naatile thaangala baaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! So sweet - both of u & of B :-)
    And u sound sooo much like me - this is exactly how my thinking process works too! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anne - Your comment means a lot to me.. & u knw what I was waiting since yesterday for urs... & yeah i Know wee think alike!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of us females are wired this way...:) I have a big Vday story this year, mine was really a bulb though. I do wanna see the cup cakes u ordered.. did u take pics? I loved the part where there is a bunch of roses from R too.. so touching :)

    ReplyDelete